Reconnect with colleagues, and attend cutting-edge panel discussions that cover a variety of topics — from the latest technology and tools for journalists to diversity, sharpening your skills, and more.
- Opening reception with a special Job Hunt 2016 session for students.
- Keynote speaker Stephen George, executive editor of Louisville Public Media. In that position, George oversees a unique statewide media group that includes the Center for Investigative Reporting; National Public Radio affiliate WFPL; classical music station WUOL; and adult alt music station WFPX. He was previously editor of the Nashville City Paper and LEO Weekly, and most recently served as news editor of Insider Louisville. Louisville Public Media was recently profiled by MediaShift, which highlighted its commitment to investigative journalism.
- Separate Mark of Excellence award events for Region 4 and Region 5.
- SuperSession on the debate over body-cam and dash-cam video.
- Conference panels on four tracks:
>>> Sharpening Your Skills, with a focus on covering heroin, global news of local importance and narrative writing.
>>> Tools & Technologies, with sessions on drones, virtual reality and Google tools.
>>> Diversity Matters, with advice on how to avoid profiling, find precise language and cover police vs. community tensions.
>>> History in Journalism, with sessions related to the 45th anniversary of the Kent State University shootings, the 50th anniversary of the Freedom of Information Act and the 100th anniversary of the Pulitzer Prizes.
Early Bird Rates (available until
March 1 March 8!)
- SPJ members
>> Professional: $75
>> Student: $55
>> Professional: $130
>> Student: $75
Regular Rates (available until April 2)
- SPJ members
>> Professional: $95
>> Students: $75
>> Professional non-member: $150
>> Student non-member: $95
Attendees may pay by check at the door the day of the event. Make checks payable to “Society of Professional Journalists.”
Click here to join or renew your SPJ membership. A professional membership is available for $75 for one year. A student membership is $37.50 for one year. Other membership rate options are available.